Soon To Be A New Me

Thursday, August 24, 2006

REAL FOOD!

Tomorrow I will be 4 weeks out from surgery. I have had a difficult time eating "real food" as my Dr. wants. I ate tuna on saltines; only could eat 3. It took me 4 days to finish the can of albacore that I mixed with mayo, pepper, celery seed. So far this has been the best thing I have ate. I tried some marinated garbanzo beans in a leafy green salad with home grown tomatoes. It was SO good. It took me almost 30 minutes to eat but I had no problems. This morning, after being up all night, I decided a salad sounded really good. I made the same as I had a few days ago and after 3 bites I put the bowl in the fridge. I must have eaten too fast because for the first time I felt like I was going to hurl. I burped a few times and the pain was gone. I immediately felt tired and went to sleep. I had a protein shake when I woke up 6 hours later. I still have no desire to eat anything. I bought 4 small peaches at the Farmer's Market and need to try one. I am getting in plenty of fluid.

I am going to weigh on my home scale tomorrow morning even though it is about 5 pounds lighter than my Doctor's $3500 Tanita scale. At least it will give me an idea of how I am doing.

I am still having sleep disorder issues that are driving me crazy. I wish I could be able to go to bed at 11 or 12 and sleep until morning. Instead, I am up all night and sleep during the day. I have tried staying up all day and then only sleep 3-4 hours and have to get up. I need to change my sleeping pills next time I see my pain management doc.

My daughter was here on Monday with her best friend Amanda. She brought another load of stuff from my Dad's and sorted through what I had brought home. I wish they could have stayed longer but Amanda had to start school at San Jose State on Wednesday. Savannah doesn't go back until August 28.
Even though we talk everyday on the phone, I miss having her around the house. I can't believe she will be 21 next month!

2 Comments:

  • At 8/26/2006 6:57 AM, Blogger Too Fat To Fly... said…

    Hi Susan,

    I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems eating and sleeping.It sounds like a bit of a struggle at the moment.Mind you, you only had the surgery done a few weeks ago so maybe thinks will begin to settle down for you as time goes on?

    Thinking of you...

    Hugs

    Lins x

     
  • At 8/26/2006 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The eating improves every single month. Even now, though, I play fridge roulette, where one day I can put away a salad and the next day I cannot. Bear in mind that lettuce and raw vegetable sin it are incredibly hard to digest on a new stomach. Think of your stomach as only a month old ... and feed it what you'd feed a baby, but with more complex flavors and proteins. You do have teeth after all, so that's not to say you need mush or puree, but gently! gently! Many surgeons won't permit raw salad until six months have passed -- the leaves can easily cover the exit from the pouch and leave you feeling bloated until they break down. Everyone has a different protocol of course. I'm eating salads and fruit just fine now, and I'm three months out. Took about two months before lettuce was easy to eat, for me. Keep at it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home