Soon To Be A New Me

Friday, August 18, 2006

SECOND FOLLOW UP APPOINTMENT

I had my second follow up appointment with my Dr. on Wednesday. I lost another 5 pounds; 20 since surgery; 28 total.

I was lectured for not eating "real" food yet. I have been drinking 3 protein shakes a day and lots of water. My Dr's nurse wants me on solid food NOW! I have eaten 3 wheat thins with peanut butter twice now with no problems. I had a bite of mashed potatoes and meatloaf that made my new stomach make really loud noises for the first time. I keep telling myself I am going to try to eat some Tuna but haven't yet. I am so afraid of food getting stuck or throwing up. I have never been a thrower-upper.

I have had a pretty depressing week as it was my Dad's birthday on Monday. I also had a long discussion with the Dr. that treated him while he was in the hospital. They finally got the results back from the Kidney Biopsy which indicates that was the primary cancer. I am really pissed off because over the past three years my Dad had ALL the symptoms to having Kidney problems and they were never addressed.

4 Comments:

  • At 8/19/2006 5:57 AM, Blogger JUST JEN said…

    Susan, try some scrambled eggs, refried beans, foods that have sufficient protein and are soft. Crackers and potatoes probably taste good, but the nutrients that they give you aren't what your body really needs at this point. And as you move into food, remember that not everythign will work the frist time and the key to being a happy eater is diversity. Sauces, spices and condiments can be your friend!

    And about your Dad, I can only imagine how hard it is to face these special days without him. I bet he'd be proud of you though for how you're taking care of yourself.

     
  • At 8/19/2006 6:52 AM, Blogger Too Fat To Fly... said…

    Hi Susan,

    Well done for losing another 5Ibs. You are doing remarkably well.

    As for you father, I'm so sorry to hear that you have been feeling somewhat depressed. I imagine the pain of losing a parent never completely goes away and some days are going to be harder than others :-(

    One step at a time, huh?

    Take good care of yourself...

    Squishy Hugs

    Lins x

     
  • At 8/21/2006 4:15 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Good job so far, Susan! Keep it up!

    I agree with Jen about foods to try, and spice it up, baby!

    I'm so sorry that there seems to have been such a screw up with your dad's health care. I can only imagine how upset you must be. Hang in there!

     
  • At 8/24/2006 5:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I kinda found it funny that you got lectured for not eating real food. It's interesting how different surgeons often are.

    I'm glad to hear you're doing so well. I'm just curious: Since your weightloss have you noticed any improvement with your back?

    I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. A lot of times doctors just write the elderly off because I guess they feel they're not as important. It's bloody criminal, but they do it all the time. My Grandpa had lung cancer (quit smoking 20 years prior). After his death it became obvious that he was sick years before they finally found it. They'd just ignored him or written him off as some hypochrondiac. My Mother wasthisclose to hiring a lawyer.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home